Friday 25 January 2013

ZERO ARE THEY WHO DIDN'T READ THIS!!


TOWARDS ZERO

AGATHA CHRISTIE


What is the connection between a failed suicide attempt, a wrongful accusation of theft against a scholgirl and the romantic life of a famous tennis player? To the casual observer, apparently nothing. But when a houseparty gathers at Gull's point, the seaside house of an elderly widow, earlier events come to a dramatic head. As Superitendent Battle discovers, it is all part of a carefully laid plan ...of a murder.

Fantastic, isn't it. It is, and that too in an amazing sort of way. I have often said(or haven't I?) that Agatha Christie is my favourite author. Her name alone is enough for me to buy her book, whatever the price may be(I am a little price conscious though). So, Towards Zero was the choice for the day.

Starting off, Towards Zero is just like any other novel. The earlier events, which I talked about, take place and have no connection whatsoever with the murder. Murder, however comes at a very late time when you already have read 100 pages or so. Also, the romantic life of the tennis player is also very, very elaborated with unnecessary dialogues between man and wife. So, your attention, sort of, you know, gets dwindling. But, when the murder occurs and the police proceedings are in full form, you try to get back in the action.



The climax is extremely well put and one of the best I have read in a Agatha Christie novel. I have totally dumbstruck when I get to know about the murder, and especially the METHOD of murder. That was totally unexpected. Whats  more, the connection of the events are fantastically connected and you get to know why Christie is called "QUEEN OF CRIME".

Ok, so enough of preaching, my verdict for Towards Zero, 7.5 outta 10 for this extremely well crafted murder mystery and masterly storytelling of the Queen Of Crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment